2022 was a busy year. We started the year with redistricting, had 4 elections, and celebrated the first step in full debt cancellation with President Biden’s decision to cancel $10-20,000 of student debt per borrower.
As tumultuous as last year was, we want to celebrate the wins we’ve had thanks to our amazing volunteers and student organizers.
- We convened a broad, multi-racial coalition to give input on the redistricting process that will have impacts for the next 10 years.
- We trained 15 Summer Rising Fellows as organizers in skills like canvassing, phonebanking, and base building.
- We pressured President Biden to cancel student debt and won $10-20,000 of student debt cancellation, reaffirming the power of young people.
- We gave over 2,600 SF residents information about low-cost or free healthcare through Medi-Cal.
- We engaged 40 new volunteers and received over 700 sign ups to volunteer at our events.
- We launched the SF District Attorney Accountability Alliance with the ACLU of Northern California and called on the DA to take action on the cases of 3 men who were killed by SFPD officers.
- We conducted 23 classroom presentations to talk to students about the importance of their vote.
- We talked to over 7,000 BIPOC voters about the primary and general Midterm Elections and recruited 162 poll workers.
But, the reach we had last year isn’t just about numbers. Our work has meant that more students can envision a future where college is accessible for everyone, more people are participating in local elections, making our democracy stronger, and more eyes are on DA Brooke Jenkins as she makes changes to the district attorney’s office.
But we still have so much more to do before all San Franciscans have the resources we need to not only live, but thrive in our city. Can you donate to SF Rising today to make sure we can keep fighting for working-class communities of color next year?
We want to start the new year off strong, with all of the resources and tools we need to keep organizing for education justice, bringing student leaders into our movement, and creating the foundation for criminal justice reform and public safety for all in San Francisco. This is an invitation to join us in building that foundation.
Your donation of $10, $25, or $50 can help SF Rising do what we are here to do: secure political power for working-class communities of color. Your donation could get us closer to actualizing a better future for our communities.
Thank you for being a part of SF Rising’s vision last year. We’re looking forward to accomplishing even more together this year and in the years to come.
Our team wishes you a happy new year!