Job Description & Application Instructions
San Francisco Rising (SFR) is an alliance of eight multi-racial, grassroots organizations that have united to make lasting change in San Francisco. Our members represent the rising majority of the city – low income and working class communities of color – who contribute to the wealth and unique beauty of this city but have not benefited from its prosperity. We have a long-term vision for the city and we are in it, together, for the long run. We are uniting African American, Latino, Chinese and Filipino communities and leaders from across the city to create a new, community-based political infrastructure capable of running sophisticated electoral operations each election cycle, and winning.
We are hiring for a Young Voter Engagement (YVE) Coordinator to manage the implementation of San Francisco Rising’s (SFR) Young Voter Engagement Program. The YVE Coordinator will work to develop, coordinate and direct SFR’s youth engagement work in conjunction with SFR’s member organizations. The work will include the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Develop strategies and tactics to increase young voter engagement, including experimentation with social media, texting, phone banking, and other technology
- Run youth engagement components of non-partisan voter registration and integrated voter engagement campaigns
- Coordinate and support collaboration among youth organizers from SFR member organizations and ally organizations
- Develop and implement a program to build a leadership core of young community members to be engaged in progressive issues
- Lead youth engagement components of member assemblies, in particular: turn-out of alliance member organizations; production and execution of political education content; and preparation of materials and other meeting logistics
- Organize youth issues forums to engage young voters in electoral issues
- With other SF Rising staff, lead paid canvas teams during regular civic engagement programs
- Support coordination of SF Rising’s participation in Bay Area Rising
Ideal candidates should demonstrate the following skills and expertise:
- Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice
- Experience in program development
- Experience in electoral organizing and familiarity with related tactics such as voter registration, phonebanking, or canvassing
- Experience in community organizing with youth and/or low-income communities of color
- Strong personal organization skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experienced with computers – including familiarity with Word, Excel and Google calendar
- Leadership experience with college campus groups, campus organizing, or student government a plus
- Bilingual in English and another language is a plus, but not necessary
Position is Full Time and the salary range is between $40,000-$50,000. Position is open immediately.
Deadline for application is August 1, 2016.
Please submit your cover letter and resume (PDF preferred) with the subject line: “SFR Young Voter Engagement Coordinator” to: Le Tim Ly, email@example.com
People of color, women, queer & gender nonconforming people are strongly encouraged to apply. Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
San Francisco Rising is a fiscally sponsored project of the Chinese Progressive Association, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.